family In The Wars

Monday, May 17, 2010

Scouting Days....or should I say cubs






The boss' wife Julie Keamey, of Cardo Stud in Watheroo, came around to the house and requested my husdband nicely if I would be the cub leader for Watheroo.
He hummed and hawed so I said yes
John and Lyll Payne, stalwarts in the Scouting movement visited with me and arranged for me to learn to be a cub leader - Akela. John himself was Mowgli for the Central Midlands District. I was officially recognised in August 1975 and had started the 1st Watheroo Cub Pack. Rather scary. Murray and Danny were too young to join, though Shane was a Cub, but they came to the meetings. When scary stories were told, they would hide themselves beside me with their heads under my jacket. The Spencer twins were the same age and they did the same thing, for their older brother Paul was in Cubs







I offically received my Wood Badge on the 11th April 1978. I could now wear the epaulets and scarf, which was yellow with the maroon Watheroo colour patch on the point at the back, held together at the front by the official turkey knot toggle. By this time the Cub Pack was well in progress and we were having Pack Holidays and camping. Having a lot of fun away from their farming homes of Watheroo








With this certificate I was now qualified to train leaders in my region. Then I left my husband and that was the end of that!













No comments: