

This was my four wheel drive that I went all over the North West of Western Australia during 1996 and again in 1997. These photos were taken in 1996 at Tom Price, an iron ore town, at my son's home after a very long and tiring journey from near Gascoyne Junction in the central Gascoyne area, driving 300-odd kms south to Meekatharra ahead of an approaching cloud band, via a very slippery and flooded Landor-Meekatharra Road and crossing the equally-flooded Landor River. On arrival at Meekatharra, it was a further three hundred kms to get to Tom Price via Wittenoom totalling over 600 kms in one day. The easier roads traveling west from where I was were closed by the police and the Gascoyne Junction Shire because of flooding and Meekatharra was the only way out. So off I slipped and slithered just before noon as the pitter patter of rain was heard on the tin roof of Dalgety Downs station homestead, where I had been for the past eleven days! My son was horrified at the vehicle's state when I arrived at his place in the early morning of the next day, having camped behind a truckie parked at Kumarina, but I brusquely informed him it was an off-road vehicle and that's where I had been. Most of the Landor-Meekatharra Road was atop what is called the Cunyu land system, which was really an old river bed that once ran between the Gascoyne and Murchison Rivers. A great adventure. On my arrival in Meekatharra about 8:30 that night, when I pulled up at the post office to call the station I had left, and my son at Tom Price to say I was 'out', two geologist bound for Newman wandered over to my vehicle for a chat, wanting to know where I had come from and where I was going. They were pleased that they would be following bitumen all the way north to Newman and told me that the Landor-Meekatharra road had been closed by the Meekatharra police because more rain had fallen and that there was one vehicle coming through - me! I had to really push the Feroza door to get out, and was astounded to view the Feroza, mud everywhere, and it was dropping in the middle of the Meekatharra main drag in great blobs! And Meekatharra I might add, was bone dry! No rain there at all. The phone call to Dalgety Downs took place and Debbie informed the Gascoyne Junction police that I was out and safe, and they in turn, I knew, would inform Meekatharra. So I grabbed a steak sandwich at the roadhouse and carried on up the smooth bitumen to Tom Price, many miles past Newman in the Hamersly Range.
No comments:
Post a Comment