family In The Wars

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Redemption of Jonah


This was taken from Braden Bell's blog and looks like a good book to read

I just finished a fascinating book that I have been thinking about ever since I finished it. Redemption, by Susan Dayley is a historical novel about Jonah. You know, the one who got swallowed by the great fish. (Note: I would have said “whale” before reading this book. However, Dayley’s notes at the end of the book give some interesting insight that have led me to change my terminology).

To begin with, let me tell you to read this book. It was interesting, thought-provoking, and uplifting. The author has woven together a compelling story from the scriptural record, historical sources, rabbinic tradition, and her own imagination. These additional sources were important since the scriptural record about Jonah is fairly sparse, and one of Dayley’s great achievements with this book is her skillful blending of scriptural narrative with these other elements.

For example, I didn’t know that the Jewish Midrash identifies Jonah as the son of the Widow of Zarephath, the one for whom the prophet Elijah performed the miracle of the barrel of meal and cruse of oil (1 Kings 17: 9-16). That was just one of the fascinating nuggets I picked up from this book.

Ultimately, Dayley’s imagination had to fill in most of the blanks in this story and again, she did an admirable job. Jonah’s rise to his prophetic status and his journey to Nineveh seemed absolutely credible to me. Dayley used enough details to create a rich and textured backdrop for the story. The combined effect of these details was to add a layer of credibility (I should add that I’m not a historian, so I’m not situated to discuss authenticity—just how I reacted).

I was particularly intrigued by the way Dayley handled one of the inherent challenges of telling Jonah’s story: why he ran from the Lord. This is a vexing question as one would assume anyone with the spiritual maturity to be called as a prophet must also know that he can’t run away from God—and wouldn’t try.

Over the years I’ve heard various rationales and explanations for Jonah’s behavior suggested. Dayley’s motivation for Jonah’s behavior really intrigued me. I’m not going to say what it is, because I don’t want to spoil anything and I do hope you’ll read this book. However, I thought Dayley’s idea came closer than anything I’ve heard to explaining it. It’s a difficult circle to square, but she did so in a way that at least satisfies the motivational problem for this character.

Dayley is a very proficient in developing the book’s thematic elements. The title of the book expresses what this story is about: redemption. Jonah’s, as well as the people of Nineveh, and several others along the way. This theme provides a unifying structure for the book and provides a welcome interpretation of God’s love for His children—even in Old Testament times.

One other thing I enjoyed about Dayley’s book was it’s leisurely pace. It is interesting, but pays the reader the compliment of assuming that the reader does not need to be pulled in with a gimmick at the beginning. Rather, Dayley’s story unfolds with direction and motion, in a stately and unhurried pace but with growing urgency—perhaps like the aged Jonah himself would have walked on his travels.

Although this was written by a Mormon author, there is nothing that seemed inherently Mormon about this book. I would think it would be interesting to anyone who believes in the Old Testament.

The story is marred occasionally by some mistakes that probably happened in the typesetting process. I wish that an editor had looked over the final proof more carefully. That is a minor quibble, though—and one out of Dayley’s control.

This is a lovely book about a fascinating story and I hope you will read it. I am very glad I did!

No comments: